Wednesday, December 24, 2014

You're Already Amazing

It's been almost one year since I wrote a blog.
I haven't felt the desire to blog in a long time, but tonight, I just had words that needed to be shared. They're not all my words, but I will give credit where credit is due.

About a week or so ago, I started reading Holley Gerth's You're Made for a God-Sized Dream and in it, her other book You're Already Amazing was referenced, so I switched gears to it. I haven't been 100% for the last couple days due to sinus congestion, so tonight I took a bubble bath and started reading You're Already Amazing and I came across this passage and The Lord immediately put it on my heart to share with others.
Our culture is obsessed with the "it girl". She's defined as a woman who has it all together - whatever "it" is at the moment. We want to be like her and do what she does. We can't imagine anyone feeling the same way about us. Life becomes a competition to see who can be the prettiest, trendiest, and most stylish. In the corporate world, it's who can climb highest, fastest, farthest. In the church (don't think we're exempt) it's who can be the sweetest, godliest, most servant-hearted. Depending on the day or the year, who that woman is changes. It's an endless game of "tag-you're it" that exhausts us all and makes us competitors rather than sisters.
But when we look at the kingdom of God, it's a different story. There aren't "it girls" (or guys). There are only "is girls". God looks at you and says, 'She is loved, accepted, and valued. She is created just the way I wanted her to be.'
I'm not going to lie: I'm a striver when it comes to trying to be an "it" girl. I have high standards for myself, I won't lie. When I set my mind to it, I'm going after it. I'm all in for it. I often fall into the comparison game and, secretly, I wonder "When will it be my turn?" My turn for the limelight, for success, for recognition? When will it be my turn to make a difference, to change the world?

But God has a purpose for me. And if you've made it this far in reading this, He has a purpose for you too. You don't need to be anybody else but you! God created you that way for this very moment. For the very purpose He has for you.

Don't lose faith and don't lose sight of who you are in the pursuit of trying to be someone else. The Enemy wants nothing more than to distract us from our purpose and the plan God has for us.

When in doubt, always remember...

We are all fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalm 139:14
We all have a plan and purpose - Jeremiah 29:11
We are loved - John 3:16
In Him, we our weaknesses are made perfect - 2 Corinthians 12:9

You're already amazing!
God don't make junk and He made you!


No comments:

Post a Comment