Sunday, December 29, 2013

reflections of the year.

inspiration: goodbye 2013, hello 2014. hello opportunities. hello new adventures.

I love to be able to give each year a "theme". but in looking back, i have no idea what 2013 was for me.
it was a year of a lot of things.

stretching.
growth.
adventures.
engagement.

it started off with the Daniel Fast where i prayed and fasted through some work goals.
ran my fastest half marathon right before my 24th birthday.
i went on a mission trip to Kenya - amazing.
i got engaged!

but when i think about where i want to be in 2014, there are a lot of areas where i feel like i want and need to improve. 

i haven't been consistent with blogging or keeping up with blogs over the last year; it saddens me. blogging is an (almost) escape for me. i've always thought about it as a "pause" in my normal day-to-day activities to really sit down and process what the Lord is doing in my life. 2013, i think, sadly has been a year when i've really struggled to process...maybe that's why i have no real "themes".

i saw my friend Ron's post about creating a personal development plan
i'm challenging myself and anyone reading this to really stop and think about where you are now and where you want to be. it's easy to get caught up in the present moment and forget to dream and set goals.

i'm not sure what my personal development plan will be in full, but there are a few scriptures that are definitely going to guide what 2014 looks like for me :)

Physical
Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies. -1 Corinthians 6:19-20
I have a couple physical goals for 2014. At the end of 2013, I've realized that I'm not eating well and I'm not exercising enough. I have started to "let myself go" and I'm not okay with it.

Financially
Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. -2 Corinthians 9:6-7
This year, I had to fund-raise for my mission trip and I know several others who did as well for other mission trips and for causes that they are passionate about; I saw God's faithfulness in providing; and I want to be faithful in being a cheerful giver and to always be thankful for what I have. I am going to be faithful in always giving to the kingdom and to do it cheerfully.

I was also encouraged to do this because of my amazing church, Seacoast Church. They recently did a series called "NEXT" to challenge us to think about what is next for us in our lives; Seacoast has an amazing vision for where they want to be in two years, and I'm really believing that the Lord will be faithful to his kingdom and his children when we are faithful and obedient to him.

Spiritually:
I am the Lord thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. Thou shalt have no other gods before me. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. -Exodus 20:2-4
Plain and simple, I have sucked at being faithful to the Lord at times. I've put things and money and people in place of my God. I have allowed "life" to come in the way with my quiet time, Sabbaths, and blogging. I've allowed relationships and friendships that poured life into me to fall between cracks because I'm "busy". I have to remember the most important relationship that I have - my relationship with the Lord - and I must value and treasure it above power, wealth, and all the other things I have allowed to interfere.


How was 2013 for you?
What do you want 2014 to look like? 

No comments:

Post a Comment