Sunday, February 17, 2013

extending some circles

inspiration: being challenged to pray an even bigger circle around africa

so, if you didn't know this before, now is the time you'll learn: this summer, i will be going on a mission trip to Turkana, Kenya and spreading the Gospel to people over there who have never heard of Jesus.

i'm super excited.
it's a huge step outside of my comfort zone and i'm not really sure how God will use me, but i'm excited about all the opportunities that lie ahead.

kenya is one circle. one big giant circle.
but let me take a step back to set the stage for how God is calling me to make that circle even bigger.

my last blog post was titled: asking, seeking, knocking...again.
lately, i've felt God repeating Himself to me time and time through messages that are challenging me to pray big prayers. as i've shared before, i feel like God is calling me to dream big about 2013. i've had two separate individuals in my life tell me that they feel God is going to use me in a mighty way this year and that i haven't even begun to scratch the surface of what it means. this excites me and terrifies me and challenges me all at once.

if you don't know me well or haven't been reading this blog very long, you may not know that i'm a "planner". type-A to a T planner.
as soon as i realized that this year, i was going to be going to kenya, i began logistically planning in my mind what this meant for me financially. putting money aside each paycheck to pursue this. to be honest, i have quite a bit saved up for the trip.

however, this weekend, i felt God tugging on my heart and challenging me to draw a matthew 7 circle and to trust Him (again, hard thing to hear for a self-sufficient girl bent on planning her way through anything and everything). but this wasn't just any prayer. it is a bold prayer to trust God to provide every penny for this trip.

oh, did i mention that my portion alone is $3,400. if you do the math, that's 340,000 pennies.
at the end of every service at Seacoast, we pray Ephesians 3:20, which praises God for being able to do immeasurably more than we can ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us.

this prayer terrifies me.
a prayer that is contingent on God coming through to provide is quite scary.
it's risky.
i don't like it.
but i feel like if i continue to try and do this on my own (which, i've been succeeding at thus far), i feel like i'm robbing God of an opportunity to produce a miracle.

there is a proverb that states: "pride cometh before a fall."
and i feel like trying to be self-sufficient is going to crumble on me at some point.
but the promises of God are powerful and never-changing.

He promises to supply our every need.
and i know that He has called me to Kenya this year, so i am excited to see how He will provide.
He will get all the glory in this!
i can't wait to experience the joy in being in the dead-center of a God-ordained blessing and miracle.


what circles do you need to draw?
is there a sickness or financial situation or job situation that you need to pray about?
are there circles you need to extend and give over to God?

we're in a series now called Make Room for God to grow and i feel like extending this prayer circle is doing just that - making room for God to do immeasurably more in my circumstance than i could ever do or dream about doing!

(if you're interested in supporting my mission trip, please contact me via: ashleeeidson@gmail.com - i would love to enlighten you on what our team will be doing and would also enjoy just receiving encouragement and support if you can't give financially.)

No comments:

Post a Comment