Sunday, December 9, 2012

for nothing is impossible with God

inspiration: my current Facebook status: not going to lie: i'm a hot mess after this morning's service. i got attacked from all angles in my relationship with God...in a good way :D

it's been a long time since i cried in church - not like *sniffle sniffle choke back a tear or two* (i've done that plenty) - but like full on "i'm a hot mess sitting here in my chair" cry session...


but today's message was powerful and hit me in a lot of different angles.


we're in our Christmas series at Seacoast Church and it's called "100,000 Gifts" and we're looking at the Christmas story from the perspective of giving and how we can bless others. Last week was our kick-off week and Greg talked about Kindness and it's been an amazing week of hearing and reading about how the Church is blessing the community through acts of kindness.

This week, Greg talked about the gift of miracles.


He focused on two characters and the miracles that changed their lives: Zechariah and Mary.


Zechariah and his wife, Elizabeth, became the parents of John the Baptist - the one who preceded Jesus and was foreshadowing the coming of the Messiah. Mary was the mother of Jesus, in whom the Holy Spirit conceived the Messiah. Both had unique circumstances which God used for His glory. But both responded to God in different ways, one in doubt, the other in humility. And I'm about to relate those stories to why I left in a "hot mess" state...



Zechariah asked the angel, “How can I be sure of this? I am an old man and my wife is well along in years.” The angel said to him, “I am Gabriel. I stand in the presence of God, and I have been sent to speak to you and to tell you this good news. And now you will be silent and not able to speak until the day this happens, because you did not believe my words, which will come true at their appointed time.” -Luke 1:18-20
Zechariah responded to news of his barren and old wife, Elizabeth, giving birth with a response of doubt: "How can I be sure of this?" I've responded to this in a lot of ways - the most applicable (and you will see why in a second) is with my mom.

At the end of service, a video was shown of a woman who was diagnosed with colon cancer earlier this year. She was in a lot of pain and the doctor immediately had her go in for a CAT scan, after which, they said there was a cancerous area on her colon that had been developing for a long time! The doctor then urged the woman to go to Seacoast and to have people pray over her because she knew her patient needed strength and comfort and prayer. So the woman came and a pastor came and prayed over her and boldly proclaimed for healing. The next Tuesday, the woman went in for her colonoscopy and the doctor was amazed: the mass wasn't there! it was truly a miracle!

I was in tears.
I've been like Zechariah in a lot of ways with my mom.
Sure, I ask for prayer when my mom is sick, but I've never proclaimed James 5:14 and actually boldly and honestly asked for total healing:
Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord.

This was a huge step. I know that I wasn't alone and the only one feeling the need to intercede for someone for healing, because there were tons of people who were waiting in lines to be prayed for. It was a hugely and incredibly humbling moment for me - I'm a prideful person (which when I think about it is a true oxymoron), and I've "logic'd" my way into thinking that healing is impossible.
"For nothing is impossible with God.” -Luke 1:37
This is what the angel told Mary when they revealed that she would carry the Messiah.
But instead of responding in doubt like Zechariah, she responded with joy and humility:
"I am the Lord's servant. May everything you have said about me come true" -Luke 1:38
Recently, I've had a major identity-crisis in my relationship with God. I've begun to place my identity in my relationship with my boyfriend and I've really needed to hear over and over that I'm a daughter of the Most High first and foremost. My expectations haven't been met with where I thought things would be, but I know that God has a plan for us.

Unlike Mary's response of humility, I've been frustrated like Zechariah that my expectations haven't been met. The three things that Greg said have applied with both my mom and with Holden:


  1. Our circumstances don't limit God's options
  2. Just because you haven't received it yet doesn't mean you won't
    1. It may not be a "NO", it may be a "NOT YET"
  3. Even in your seasons of unbelief you cannot thwart the promises of God
I want to believe in miracles and to respond like Mary during those moments. For the first time, I'm proclaiming the promise of God that He can heal. Recently, I've been reading through the Gospel of Luke and I've read numerous stories of Jesus' healing, and now I'm finally expressing faith that He can and WILL do the same in my life for my mom. I've also realized that my "No" right now is more like a "Not yet, Nikki" whisper of blessing in my relationship with Holden. God's timetable > my timetable. The relationship I have with Holden is something that was definitely from God - from the circumstances of how we met to a lot of events that have happened in us dating; and neither of us can reason or logic any of it - he has grown in a lot of ways and I think right now, it's my turn to be pruned and trimmed so that I can be stronger as well. It's been a rough process (and I'm sure Holden will shout an "Amen" when he reads that ;)) but I don't want to mess up the work God is doing in me right now...

I wrote down: "Don't limit how God can work miracles" today.
I'm boldly believing that God is going to work a miracle somehow in my life. I don't know how or when, but I know it will be on His timetable.

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE WITH GOD!
I believe You're my Healer
I believe You are all I need
I believe You're my portion
I believe You're more than enough for me
Jesus, You're all I need

No comments:

Post a Comment