Saturday, August 11, 2012

bloom where you are planted - love your potential

inspiration: learning about myself and loving my potential

it's been way too long since i've blogged!!!
but over the last few days, i've experienced so much of God's presence and provision that i couldn't NOT blog about this.
"For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made." -Psalm 138:13-14 
"For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them." -Ephesians 2:10

Call me weird. Call me crazy. (Call me, maybe...Haha, j/k. and you're welcome for me getting that song stuck in your head ;)), but I am obsessed with personality tests. Maybe I'm slightly egocentric, but I use them as tools to help me relate to others. The more I understand myself, the more I understand others.

I've taken the Myers-Briggs a couple times (ISFJ) and I love taking ministry and spiritual giftings tests (I know that faith and exhortation are my highest giftings, but I can't remember anything else...)

But earlier this week, I was watching Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University lesson about working in our strengths. He talked a lot about the DISC assessment (I haven't had a chance to take an in-depth assessment yet); but as he was talking about finding the "right fit" for us in our workplaces, I was struck with the thought "Nikki, you're doing EXACTLY what you're wired for. Your job is THE perfect fit for you."

I was excited about that revelation.
Granted, there are plenty of stressful days, but I LOVE my job. I work for a great company doing what I enjoy doing, it really is a perfect fit for me:

  • very casual environment - I get to wear my funny t-shirts every day ;)
  • i'm using my skills as a web developer
  • i'm meeting the needs of the people i work with - making their jobs easier and more efficient in the database
  • i'm being allowed to have more creative and organizational reign over my team (Team Ninja) - and in working with Ian and Jennifer, we've really nailed down processes that work and make us more efficient as developers
  • i have co-workers that i like
  • i pack nerf gun heat everyday!
it really is what i want to do and what i love doing.
the other morning, i posted this on facebook:
"today was the most encouraging day i've had in a really long time! i got compliments from several people at work and was reminded of how blessed i am to have the job that i have. but most importantly, all of this is a humbling reminder of how awesome God is - i could've never dreamed i'd be where i am and to be doing the things i'm doing. He is truly magnificent and worthy of all my praise :D"
i could've never planned any of this in my wildest dreams.
i could've searched and searched and searched for a job like this and it probably would've never worked out this well. God really blessed me with this job and i'm reminded every single day how blessed I am to have it.

and i want to encourage those around me to 1) trust God in His plans - He probably has something up his sleeve that will blow all your plans out of the water. He did for me! 2) Bloom where you are planted - my friend Kim gave me this sound advice a little over a year ago when i was feeling the pressure of being in a new season in a new place with new people.

embracing everything, the good, the bad, the ugly, will give you a greater appreciation for the things God has for you in the future! you never know the seeds that God is planting in you now so that you can reap a harvest of blessings in the future. don't hate the wait. embrace the season. bloom where you're planted and love your potential!
"'For I know the plans I have for you', declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" -Jeremiah 29:11

1 comment:

  1. Ok, Nikki... thanks for the song implant!

    I also am a fan of the quizzes, tests and assessments. I did the DISC analysis about 6 years ago. I was told it's common to have one or two areas of strength. Uncommon for 3, very uncommon for 4. I'm very uncommon, or perhaps I was still trying to be everything to everybody... who knows? Hmmm maybe I should retest?!

    I know this... It is freaking fantastic to feel perfectly in place. You look around and grin with gratitude. Occasionally I still hate the wait because I feel I could've gotten here sooner, faster, younger, and possessing more energy.. but then again - I wouldn't have been ME showing up HERE, NOW. I like that... Don't hate the wait.

    ReplyDelete