Thursday, May 24, 2012

adoption: the greatest form of acceptance

inspiration: adoption and becoming heirs with Christ


tonight at theWell, we studied Romans 8:5-14, but Ernest focused mostly on verse 14.
For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. -Romans 8:14
later in the chapter, we learn that as soon as we believe in Christ, we become children of God. Verses 16 and 17 say:
The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children. Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory. -Romans 8:16-17
but the main emphasis is that through Christ, we are adopted into God's family.

i'm adopted.
i was born in South Korea, was adopted, came to America when i was 4 months old.


for me, the word "adoption" holds a strong meaning to me.
for me, it's the reason i'm here - literally, where i am - today.

Ernest made a strong point in his message tonight.
Adoption is the greatest form of acceptance.


for me, i was adopted as an infant - my parents are all i know.
i know there are people whose parents abandoned them and relatives adopted them.
i know there are people who grew up in foster care and were sent to several places before either becoming adopted or becoming wards of the state.
i know there are people who, like me, never knew their parents and those that adopted them are all they know.


but whatever situation brought about adoption, it still means we were chosen.


i've honestly never thought of it in that sense before.
my parents didn't have to adopt me. they made a choice to adopt.
they made a choice to love me even though i wasn't of their flesh.
i can only imagine being in a different situation - being in one where maybe i knew my parents and was either forced by tragedy or other circumstances to be placed in foster care, in any situation having to deal with adjusting to life with others. unfortunately, i know there are a lot of tragic stories where adoption and foster care parents only do it for money. but i can only imagine what it feels like for a kid to be chosen specifically to a new family who loves them.


but God chooses us.


as soon as we accept Christ, we become His child.
He doesn't have to love us - in the deepest sense, He doesn't need us. after all, He's God.
But He loves us because He IS love.
He loves us.


and because we are His children, He provides for us (Matthew 7:11), He loves us unconditionally (1 John 3:1), and we can trust in Him (Hebrews 13:5 : Deuteronomy 31:6, 8; Joshua 1:5).


for me, i know that those three attributes are present in my parents.
they provided for me.
they loved me as unconditionally as we can as humans.
and i know i can trust them in anything.


i'm blessed to truly have them.


and God is the same for me.
if i'm honest, it's hard for me to know that He will always provide for me, even if it's not in the way i want or expect. but i was reminded of this tonight...


If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! -Matthew 7:11

God has chosen me.
ME!
He loves me and will provide for me.

because of who He is, i know that i am truly accepted and loved!

2 comments:

  1. Our family motto, Nikki, is "forever chosen". My dad was my stepdad (only by a technicality) and adopted me. He chose me and I chose him. God chose us all. We chose adoption and adopted Emori. Her cake for her finalization (I'm sure you remember) said "Prayed for, dreamed about, forever chosen, Lala's finally a Pearson". :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i do remember that, kristin.
    i'm so happy for you guys and i'm so blessed that you guys are in my life and continue to love and support me from two states away! i love you guys!

    ReplyDelete