Wednesday, April 25, 2012

what i learned from green eggs and ham

inspiration: a week later, i'm still reciting Green Eggs and Ham to myself....


last week, after theWell service, we had an open mic night.
now, i can't sing or dance to save my life.
but i do have a knack for memorizing things, so i decided to tackle the ever-classic Dr. Seuss' Green Eggs and Ham.
...and 62 pages of classic literature is stuck in my head.
i recited it with a handful of errors, but i still had fun :)

but since i haven't blogged in a week and i still have that darn book memorized, i figured i'd make a blog out of it.


so two things i learned from Green Eggs and Ham:


be willing to try new things


what if the un-named main character had never tried something new.
he never would've known he liked green eggs and ham.
he would've lived in a comfortable circle of ignorance.


how often do we do that?
we write something off because it doesn't sound appealing.

or it's too hard.
or too different.
or everyone else is doing it, so we shun the idea of conformity (confession: i'm big on this one)


we may miss out on some pretty sweet opportunities.
we may miss out on the experience of a lifetime.


so be willing to try green eggs and ham, despite what your initial impressions are.


be willing to lay down your pride


"I do not like them in a house, I do not like them with a mouse, I do not like them here or there, I do not like them anywhere, I do not like green eggs and ham, I do not like them Sam I Am!"


we hear it over and over and over again (literally for about 50 pages) of the main character tearing down Sam I Am's plea for him to try green eggs and ham.


but eventually we hear the magical words: "Sam, if you will let me be, I will try them, you will see...SAY! I like green eggs and ham! I do, I like them, Sam I Am!"


he was willing to step away from his pride and try them.


how often do we let pride hold us back?
i know for me, pride is my biggest strength, but ultimately my biggest weakness.


i often don't want to be taken for a fool, so i'll hold fast to something just because if i admit that i'm wrong, well, it means that i was wrong.
or i'll hold on to something, even if it means sacrificing joy, to make sure that i look good doing it.
i hold back on how i'm feeling because i want to appear strong.


but sometimes, our biggest opportunities and rewards will come when we humble ourselves and admit that we have faults and struggles.






what are your "green eggs and ham" - the thing that you just could not, will not, and would not do?
do you need to "try them, try them, and see?"
what was your favorite dr. seuss book growing up? (i bet you can guess what mine was ;))

No comments:

Post a Comment