Thursday, January 26, 2012

peace isn't the absence of pain...

inspiration: theWell service: Romans 5:1-2
Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. -Romans 5:1-2


we all need peace in our lives.
peace from work.
peace from family.
peace from the chaos that surrounds us in our every day lives.


tonight, Ernest gave a powerful sermon about peace as it relates to our faith.
we're starting a new series called "Dying to Live" as it relates to Romans 5 and I'm pumped!
glad to be back in the Word and studying the impact it can have in our life! :)


the team did a "Man on the Street" video asking people "faith" meant to them and what they put their faith in.
most responded with faith being something they believed in, could trust and rely on.
and some responded with God, others family and friends.


but ultimately the thing we, as Christians, must put our faith in is Jesus Christ.

In John 14:27, Jesus says this:
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.
We can put our faith in anything.
Money.
Relationships.
Power.
Friends.
Family.


But ultimately, they're going to let us down.
They may bring happiness, but they won't bring peace. Only Jesus does that. 


Ernest made awesome statements about the power of these verses in Romans:
Place your faith in Jesus Christ.
Access God's grace.
Rejoice in hope.


Because we have been made right with God through Jesus Christ, we have been shown a completely incomprehensible amount of love and grace; I won't use Ernest's illustration (you'll have to ask him about that ;)), but we can't even begin to imagine how much He loves us. Nothing we ever do will be good enough to please Him, but because of Christ, we are made blameless in His sight.


Talk about peace.


And we can rejoice in this peace and in the hope that Christ brings!


I'm not saying I have everything together.
Because I don't.
Never have, never will.


But I will claim to have peace in a lot of areas of my life because of my relationship with Christ.


Not only because of Christ's sacrifice for me.
But because of how he as worked in my life to draw me and others closer to Him.


I have peace, even in the midst of chaotic times (through breakups, moving, job stress, relationships, finances, family, car accidents...just saying) because i can rejoice in the fact that God is at work in every situation I encounter.


a breakup brought me back to Christ.
moving brought me in contact with so many opportunities and so many amazing people.
job stress have only made me better at my job.
...and the list goes on and on.
And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. -Romans 8:28
...and this is the kind of faith we should have.
Knowing that no matter what, God is at work in every situation; making sure it works together for His Kingdom.


He loves us enough to prove that every single day.
We just have to accept his grace, rejoice in Him, and have faith that in any and every situation, He WILL come through for us, even if it's not in the ways we expect.


Peace isn't the absence of pain, it's the presence of God.





"Trouble surrounds me, chaos abounding. My soul will rest in You."




What do you need to find peace about in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment