Sunday, January 15, 2012

according to His power that is at work within us...

inspiration: Ephesians 3:20b

at Seacoast, we're in the middle of a series called "Immeasurable" which is based off Ephesians 3:20-21:
Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within usto him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
Last night, Josh Surratt gave an awesome message regarding the second half of Ephesians 3:20.
I love the way he boils it down to terms we understand: iPhones (or in my case, the anti-iPhone - Droid, ftw)

Sometimes we lose power; we let our "batteries die" - we lose that "connection" with the God. But, we were promised the Holy Spirit - the Comforter, our Guide - when Jesus told the disciples He would be departing from this world.

And because we have the Holy Spirit, we have power! We are able to immeasurably more because of this power!
Some of the "apps" (spiritual gifts that the Holy Spirit imparts in us) that Josh mentioned were comforting app (He is the Great Comforter, after all), guiding, teaching, witnessing, convicting, and convincing. These are all things that the Holy Spirit gives us.

Something that was amazing about this sermon is that it ties in directly to what we're talking about in my small group: spiritual gifts.

Last week, I challenged my small group to take the Spiritual Gifts test.
It's so important for us to realize that we were all uniquely and wonderfully made! God knew the plans He had for us before we were even conceived.
For you created my inmost being; 
   you knit me together in my mother’s womb. 
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; 
   your works are wonderful, 
   I know that full well. -Psalm 139:13-14
It's easy to look at others around us and say "I wish I was good with kids" or "I wish I the spirit and ability to give like they do" or "I wish I could pray like them". But we're not cookie-cutter people, so why do we think we should have the same spiritual gifts as everyone else. The Holy Spirit gives us all power that differs from our other brothers and sisters because He has a unique role that we must play in His plan!

When we hone into our unique spiritual gifts, we are able to do immeasurably more for the kingdom than we could ask or imagine.
I took a spiritual gifts test for the first time a few months ago and two of my top spiritual gifts are faith and exhortation and I realized that I've been sharing those gifts through this blog; if I had gotten caught up in the fact that I'm not a great evangelist or a great giver, i may have never realized the impact i'm making in others' lives.

When we hone into our unique spiritual gifts and use those to serve the body of Christ, we are able to do immeasurably more as the body of Christ.
Each of us play an important role in the body of Christ and when we come together to build each other up and to do the work that Christ is calling us to do, there is nothing that can stop us! For if God is for us, then who could be against us?!


Have you ever taken a spiritual gifts test?
If so, what are your top gifts?

No comments:

Post a Comment