Thursday, December 29, 2011

dear future husband.

inspiration: a letter to my future husband and a word of encouragement to us all.

dear future husband,
i don't know who you are or where you may be right now - i'm actually sitting in the public library in mount pleasant because i don't have internet access at my apartment right now. it sounds kind of lame and it sort of is, but one day you'll realize that all my lame moments just make me who i'm supposed to be. (oh yeah, and you'll also know that i'm super cheesy and witty as well).
i'm writing this to you because i know that one day we will meet.
we will fall in love.
and we will live happily ever after.
...or not so much, really. we live in a world that is broken and lost; society and culture are feeding us advice that completely contradict biblical wisdom, in many cases. rather than promoting biblical love and humility, we're being fed selfish ambition and power hunger. 
but despite all that, i want you to know that i've been praying for you. on may 18, 2011, i began truly praying for you and, despite all that society is telling me i should do and despite all the temptations to give into flesh, i vowed that i would honor and respect you in words and in actions by not dating until i met you. i've made my fair share of mistakes in the past - ones that you'll know about - but regardless of the past, i know that i was made new in Christ and i know that everything that happened only led me to become the woman you will one day call your wife. 
i know we'll have struggles and fights.
i know we'll butt heads and disagree.
but regardless, i will be committed to you.
i will honor and respect you.
i will stand behind you.
all i ask is that you support me.
forgive me.
lead me.
and love me. 
we won't be perfect.
but i know God's plan for us will be. 
love,
your future wife.

i decided to write this today after thinking and reflecting about my one-year of no dating and how much i've learned and grown during everything. there are a lot of things that i'm not proud of in my past. but i press on looking forward to the person that God has planned for me.

it's reallllllly hard being in the middle of a season that you wish would end.
it's hard to see the big picture when you're in the middle of the whirlwind called life.
but i'm totally encouraged knowing that some day, there will be a man out there who will appreciate and love me for who i am, despite my past, despite my flaws.

sisters in christ, i pray that you will do the same.
wait for God's best for you.
never settle for less than what you deserve.
persevere and know that you are worth the pursuit and fight.
respect men and know that God has someone for you.

brothers in christ, honor women.
lead them.
protect them.
love them.
fight for them.
we all know that you have the desire to be the person that a woman needs, so be that person.

1 comment:

  1. I adore this. I used to keep a journal to my future husband when I was younger >_< I wonder what ever happened to it...

    ReplyDelete