Saturday, June 11, 2011

take time to rest.

inspiration: Matthew 11:28

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." --Matthew 11:28

when it comes to "relaxing", i'm not all that good at it.
i get energy from doing things.
my days are driven by to-do lists.
relaxing is equated with knowing that i am doing something that gets me one step closer to having everything on my list crossed off.

today's to-do list looked something like this:

  • clean out fridge
  • empty dishwasher
  • load dishwasher
  • forever 21??
  • creme de la creme
  • Insanity workout
  • read Blue Like Jazz
  • write blogs

i took some time after my Insanity workouts to go lay out by the pool. to really "relax".
but as i sat out there and read Blue Like Jazz (which, btw, is awesome! i started it yesterday and i'll probably finish it tonight or tomorrow. it's THAT good!), i couldn't help think to myself "I need to be doing something else!"

and then it hit me.
i couldn't even rest.
i had too much on my mind.

it's moments like that that always bring me back to Matthew 11:28.
yes, i AM the little asian that could.
but even i need rest. some time to unwind and relax.
i have to really work at it.
but i need rest.
and not just any rest. i need rest from myself. from the burdens of everything that i carry (my OCD/perfectionist tendencies).

i must relinquish control of the details of my life to God.
He has everything in control, after all.


are you like me; in constant, go-go-go mode? or are you able to take the time you need to relax and enjoy where God has you?

1 comment:

  1. I'm always on the go and it's hard for me to relax. But I know it is important to take time to relax. Great thoughts.

    ReplyDelete