Sunday, May 15, 2011

looking-glass self.

inspiration: looking-glass self.

this evening, i went down to one of my favorite spots in Charleston (The Battery) and skimmed Completely His by Shannon Ethridge for my "other" blog's (Crazy Asian of Charleston) Book Reviews section.

i came across this passage while reading and it definitely grabbed my attention (much like it did when i initially read this book - i know this because i put a sticky note tab on the passage)

"Sociologists have a theory of the looking-glass self: you become what the most important person in your life (wife, father, boss, etc.) thinks you are. How would my life change if I truly believed the Bible's astounding words about God's love for me, if I looked in the mirror and saw what God sees?" --Philip Yancey, What's So Amazing About Grace? (quoted on page 126)
i wonder what God sees when he thinks of "Nikki The Crazy Asian"?
i know i often see a discombobulated, stress-mess of a person.
i'm not where i want to be physically or emotionally or relationship-wise.
i'm often insecure.

but God sees past all that.
he sees through the masks i wear - the masks that say "i have it all together" or "i'm awesome".
we all know that i most certainly DON'T have it all together.
and while i am awesome, i'm only awesome because of the new creation Christ has made me!

this morning, Pastor Greg quoted 1 Samuel 16:7, the second half of which is this...
"The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart."

inside i'm broken.
inside i'm longing for more in life.
something that only Christ can provide.

He knows my heart and i know that He has great plans for me. Jeremiah 29:11, ftw!!

...and this is the second time i've linked to this song, but it's because i love it THAT much!!

No comments:

Post a Comment