Tuesday, March 15, 2011

"have i won monopoly to forfeit my soul..."

inspiration: Switchfoot's song "Company Car"

last week, i bought Switchfoot's "Best Yet" album.
i'm absolutely in LOVE with the song "Company Car", basically describing this man who isn't happy with what he has, even though he seemingly has everything he could ever want.

Chorus:
"I've got the company car
I'm the one swinging at two below par
Yeah, I've become one with the ones
That I've never believed in
But I've got the company car"

my favorite part is this:

"I'm half baked! I'm fake!
But see I've got hotels on
Park Place and Boardwalk
And two hundred bucks
I pass go but, oh! Life's taken it's toll
Have I won monopoly to forfeit my soul?"

luckily, i'm not at this place in my life.
despite hitting a few roadblocks in the beginning and still wrestling through the stresses of transitioning and learning, i am very blessed to be where i am physically, emotionally, and spiritually. but i know that sometimes we, myself very much included, get caught up in chasing the "American Dream" that we lose ourselves in the process.

Luke 9:25 says this, "What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self?" completely echoed by the line "Have I won monopoly to forfeit my soul?"

it's easy to get caught up in the "things" that we want.
i know my biggest struggle since i've gotten this "big girl" job, has been to be a good steward of my money. i've squandered a lot of it and i'm starting to feel the pressures of being a poor steward. with great paychecks comes great responsibility (that's the saying, right?)

last week, i completely paid off one credit card and at the beginning of next month, my plan is to pay the other two off (or at least pay one completely off and have the almost paid off). i'm also determined to tithe faithfully. it's not going to be easy and will require me to 1) eat out significantly less and 2) not go on as many adventures. but i know that loosening my grip on money and letting it reign in my life less and less will make me a more faithful servant of Christ.

im blessed beyond belief for what i have.
but i need to start living like it's not everything to me.
only Christ can and should be my everything.
i don't want to forfeit my soul for the sake of chasing "hotels on Park Place and Boardwalk".

No comments:

Post a Comment