Sunday, February 20, 2011

facebook fast: day three -- it's not about rules.

inspiration: something i've already realized during the course of my facebook fast.

Christianity is not merely legalism and morality -- legalism and morality take away our joy. It's allowing Christ's righteousness to replace our unrighteousness -- GRACE brings joy!

(a tweet/FB status I posted last Sunday)

i almost find it ironic that i posted that last weekend, yet this weekend, i'm having to swallow my words and accept it as truth -- i need to start living out what i say, truly, to the T.

when i first started this fast, i, honestly, thought to myself that if i didn't log onto facebook for a week, that i would instantly be drawn closer to God. three days in, i know that this is very much not the case. i've been trying, by my own accord, to do things to keep me away from facebook, which in turn is making it more and more legalistic in my mind.

in reflection of how much i'm on facebook, it's not the social network itself that is bad, it's my engagement with it. i like to make witty/goofy/sometimes serious status updates and such on facebook; i like to post pictures during the day. that's all good in my mind because when i do that, i'm not fully investing myself into it -- i realized that in "tweeting" instead of "facebook-ing" over the last couple days. tweeting is simple because it's all there is to it. i say what i need to say, read what everyone else says, move on.

but it's when facebook draws my focus completely to itself that it becomes an issue. when i have unlimited access to people's lives (or what they share on the internet) that i become consumed by it. there is no need for me to know what the guy who sat across from me in history class back in high school is doing or who he is dating. but it's on facebook, so it's like i need to know. i don't have to comment on every single picture that's posted. but since they're on my news feed, i have to scan through them and analyze them all.

i say this all to point back to the quote:
if i'm being honest, being completely "legalistic" and giving up facebook completely has taken away my joy, per se. in itself, it's not a bad thing; it's in how i use it that makes it a bad thing. like i said, i love posting statuses and pictures of random thoughts or things that pop into my head and it's, honestly, been annoying not being able to do it. and twitter is all good, but i'm a long-winded person - 140 characters ain't cuttin' it! :P

but on the other honest hand, it's been quite liberating to know that i'm not "attached" to it for a week. i'm not focusing on that random person from high school's life. i'm not focused on looking at all the pictures and all the profiles. Lord knows i'm not playing zuma blitz for hours on end.

but grace is key, too.
i'm going to continue to fulfill the rest of my facebook fast this week, because i want to be open to the other ways in which God will reveal himself to me during this time. and i'm not trying to impose myself as God here, but i don't think He wants me to do continue this fast because it would make me "more spiritual" -- only investing myself in HIM will i grow in knowledge and maturity -- rather because i DO want to invest in Him more.

i feel like the last few days have definitely been more about me than about God and facebook isn't even in the picture. it's time that i stepped up and stepped out and really TRUSTED that He will reveal Himself to me, not because I'm "being good and fasting", but because I truly want to experience the joy that only He can fill me with.

"What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith." -Philippians 3:8-9

No comments:

Post a Comment