Tuesday, January 11, 2011

on a mission.

inspiration: Dr. Boles' amazing devotional tonight. i am so incredibly blessed to be surrounded by a team that i not only get to serve with, but also grow in Christ with!

Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

-Matthew 28:16-20 (The Great Commission)


dr. boles led our awesome devotional tonight.
he started out by posing the question: "what does 'commission' mean?" and we answered that it's when a group of people come together for the common goal of Christ. and it's our greatest command.
he mentioned about how we are on a missions trip, so by default, we are "on a mission" with the purpose of coming here to spread the Gospel through our projects with the Abraham Project.

he shared stories about how he has been on other medical missions trips in which he has prayed with every patient he has worked on. but he also made the point that when he went on missions trips in Brazil and missions trips in Kentucky, he had the same fulfillment.

which brought is to the main purpose: no matter where we are or where we go, we are commanded to spread the Gospel to ALL people!

dr. boles also made a point that really struck a chord with me: People here know we're Christians because we are on a MISSIONS trip. But do the people back home know I'm a Christian?

do my actions reflect the heart of Christ when i'm at home and abroad?
is my life pointed in the direction of Christ or focused on me, me, me?
if someone who didn't know me saw me out in public, would my spirit and attitude point to Christ?

these are all questions that came to mind listening to dr. boles tonight.
i know that this trip means a lot to the Project and the people involved.
i know that the Project is going to reach a lot of broken people in Costa Rica.
but more than that, i know that this missions trip is changing my heart and outlook on life COMPLETELY!

words cannot describe the work that God is doing in me here.
i'm seeing things i don't see in Clarksville.
i'm experiencing things that i could only experience here.
i'm bonding not only with my team but with Christ!!

every nail.
every screw.
every concrete post.
(every joke i make with Jen and Sarah)
everything is being used to mold and shape me into the creation Christ wants me to be.

"because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."
-Philippians 1:5-6

this trip is turning out to be one of the most amazing experiences ever.
i hope that what is happening in my heart doesn't cease when i leave Costa Rica.
i hope that Christ will open my eyes to other opportunities to serve and share the Gospel with others at home.

i'm on a mission.
for Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment