Monday, September 6, 2010

tetris.

inspiration: Tetris. Change. Life.

Last night was our first night back at the Denley's for Sunday Night Small Group (SNSG). I'm SOO glad to be back in the swing of things. My Sunday's are always eventful and now I get to add SNSG back to my agenda! Love it!

We talked about change last night. And how a lot of us are about to graduate college (or have already graduated) and how we don't know what to expect (myself DEFINITELY included in this category). We all kind of expect certain things to happen once we have that "college degree", but sometimes life doesn't turn out that way. So how do we deal with unexpected things? How do we deal with life when it's not going our way or when things are nothing like we expected them to be??

Now for a metaphor.



I grew up addicted to Tetris.
I had an old school Nintendo Game Boy and for the first like six or seven years of my life, Tetris was the only game I had. And I rocked at it.
I decided earlier that I wanted to play it on my computer again. So I found an online version (not as intriguing as the original, but Tetris nonetheless) and I proceeded to play for about 30 minutes.

We all know how it goes: We try to prevent "holes" in our set up. We manipulate our pieces to create a wall with a gap on the end and we wait for the straight bar to come so we can drop it and remove 4 rows (the ultimate Tetris move).

We live life the same way. We try to manipulate everything into perfection (at least, I do). We try to plan everything. There's a place for everything and everything should be in it's place. I am completely guilty of trying to control every aspect of my life.

But what happens when things don't go the way we plan? What happens when that straight bar doesn't come and our wall gets taller and taller with no apparent solution in sight? Or worse what happens when we have a "tetris fail" moment (like in the picture) and we've missed the opportunity we've been waiting for?

Life is full of these moments.
Life is full of uncertain times.
Life is full of unexpected events and unpredictable circumstances.

But no matter what, I cling to the truth that God is always with me.
Joshua 1:9 states, "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."

Philippians 4:13 states, "I can do everything through him who gives me strength" and verse 19 states, "And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus."

It's easy to remain faithful to God when things are all good. When we remove those 4 rows, it's very easy to celebrate. The times when we mess up and create "holes" in our wall, or when we never get that coveted straight bar, it's a little more difficult to praise God. But even through the times where "the straight bar doesn't come" and we are unsure of what the future holds, we should always hold fast to the promise that God will never leave us or forsake us, he will strengthen us, and he will provide for us. In all circumstances, God is good. So while I have no clue where I will be in a few months, I do know that as long as I remain faithful to Christ, He will lead me where He wants me; I will follow faithfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment