Sunday, August 15, 2010

"i do my little turn on the catwalk"

inspiration: NOT Right Said Fred =P

So I had an amazing opportunity presented to me this afternoon. But, first, the back story:

WAY-FM is hosting their Girls Day Out Fashion Show on Sept. 25th and I heard the radio ad about needing models. There was an open audition three weeks ago, where representatives from two major modeling companies, as well as reps from WAY-FM, were there 1) to choose models for the fashion show and 2) for the modeling agencies to find new talent to represent.

I thought, "What the heck" and decided to go and try out.
I did. I had a blast walking across the stage. I was told I would be notified within two weeks from one of the modeling agencies. And I was. I was told Advantage Models and Talent was interested in working with me and asked to come to an Open Call to meet with the directors. That was today.

The whole process was fairly simple, but incredibly nerve-racking! We were broken up into groups; we watched an intro video to introduce us to the agency and to the founder (who has tons of experience modeling and decided to open an agency to help up-and-coming models, actors, singers, etc). We walked across a small catwalk (I strutted my stuff ;)) and once everyone in all the groups had done that, we waited.
And waited. And waited.

My whole thought process throughout this whole "modeling" spurt was (and still is) "whatever is meant to be, will be." i, honestly, figured this would be a definitive God "YES" or "NO". But what happened today was a complete curve ball in what I hoped would happen.

I was told I have potential and that they (the directors) liked my look and feel like I would be a good fit for them. But since I have no experience, they feel like it would be advantageous to do a course combining acting and modeling (which threw me for a loop because i considered the "acting" portion only for a brief second during the open call, but passed up the opportunity to do a cold read). the price tag is hefty (not as bad as i was expecting though...) and it will be a huge risk. i will have to work even harder to balance my priorities (school, work, church, etc.) and i may not ever even work for a client.

but after weighing the pros and cons and after talking with several friends and my parents, i feel like this is something i am going to pursue. i've been reading "In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day", about chasing lions and overcoming fear in order to become the followers God wants us to be, and I re-read something I underlined last night:


"But lion chasers are more afraid of lifelong regrets than temporary uncertainty. They don't want to get to the end of their lives and have a million what-if regrets. So they chase lions." (p. 81)


Replaying things I've mentioned about the book and quotes that I've underlined in the book sealed the deal for me. This is truly an opportunity that I feel like God has placed before me. For better or worse, I am going to pursue it. If I fail, then I fail; at least I tried. But no matter what, I know I need to keep Christ at the forefront of my decision: all my faith is in Him. For better or for worse. I have a lot of friends who support me and will keep me accountable in my actions and in my relationship with Christ. I am absolutely certain of that.

I'm excited (and scared to death) about the future. I am so nervous about getting the ball rolling that I think I'm about to wet myself. But for better or for worse, I've been given the opportunity to chase a lion. And I'm doing it!

(BTW, still not sure if I was selected for the fashion show. I never heard back from WAY-FM, so I'm thinking that was a negative).

2 comments:

  1. God bless your modeling. But are you sure this isn't just a scam to sell you acting lessons? Please forgive, the long distance, knee-jerk skepticism in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brad, I appreciate the skepticism. I've thought long and hard about everything and I've also gotten advice and opinions from a close-knit community of friends and family. And perhaps, I'm just another young, naive soul who fell for the "you have a lot of potential" line, but I know if it's not meant to be, it's not going to be a huge deal.

    this is a new experience. i've always kind of had the "go-getter" attitude. this is one of those opportunities i may never get again, as far as the time and money are concerned. i have a lot of priorities that will certainly come before this (school, church, serving, work, etc.) and i have wonderful friends (including you as my blogger accountability partner ;)) and family who will truly keep me in check (as well as my ego and pride).

    it's not going to be an easy road by any means and it may lead up to a lot of disappointment. but i realize this now, so whatever happens, happens and may it be used to glorify Christ and not myself. it seems ironic to say that about a modeling career, but who knows what may come out of this experience.

    ReplyDelete