Wednesday, July 14, 2010

love never fails.

inspiration: we say "I love you" way too much. and sometimes we forget what "I love you" really means.

"i love this song/movie/book."
"i love my iPhone/video game."
"i love my friends/family."
"i love my boyfriend/i love my girlfriend"
"i love my husband/i love my wife."

we say "love" like it's just another word. and granted it is (some of us -- myself included in times past -- regard it as one of those "four-letter words" =P). but sometimes what i forget (and we, as Christians forget) is what LOVE truly means.

it's more than just an emotion or a feeling i express to my friends and family. it's more than just a word i use to describe how i feel about my passion for food or movies or guitar hero. LOVE transcends understanding, whether we realize it or not; the true LOVE that God has for us is beyond comprehension or words.

in comparison to God's love for us, the love i have for my things/friends/family is like an ant (me) compared to an elephant (God).
we say we love things.
we say we love people.
But NOTHING can ever compare to the love of Christ.

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life." --John 3:16

God loves us so much that He gave up His SON to die for us. i can't imagine doing such a thing. i just can't. but God did. and He still does.

one of the things i look forward to most in the future is getting married and spending the rest of my life with a man that is in love with Christ more than he is in love with me. i know i'm only 21 and i have a slew of adventures ahead of me, but i really do want to find the person who will love me for everything i am and everything i'm not and who will always keep me grounded and Christ-centered. but i can pretty much guarantee that i will drive him crazy. i will make him mad, i will annoy him, i will mess things up, and i will complain about things he thinks are stupid. but through all that, if he is truly the one, he will see beyond my imperfections.

That's how Christ sees us. He sees our broken lives and the broken world we live in. He knows our hearts and our thoughts and all the sin in our lives. But He still loves us. He knows our weaknesses and our strengths. His heart breaks when we turn away from Him. But despite all the pain and suffering and heartache our lives and our sin bring about, He is ALWAYS there for us. His love is unconditional. His grace is unfathomable. Even when we are far away from Him, He still welcomes us home with open arms (like the father with the prodigal son -- Luke 15:11-32). Nothing can ever separate us from His love, either.

Romans 8:38-39 says, "For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

There is a quote from Oscar Wilde that I love: "Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future."

i know that there are a lot of things that i have done wrong in the past. i have hurt others, forsaken my relationship with Christ, idolized money and things and the world, and made mistake after mistake after mistake. but God used those moments of me hitting rock bottom in order to show me His love. through relationships with friends, through church, through His word, through books, and through prayer, His grace overtook me every time i made a mistake. every time i ran away, He brought me back to Him and received me with open arms. I've been redeemed by His blood and His love covers me, in everything i do.

So we may say "I love (insert anything or anyone here)", but the truth is, God will always love us more. far more than we can even ever comprehend!!

He is just that amazing.

1 comment:

  1. Good thoughts, Nikki. True love, God's love never fails.

    Brad

    ReplyDelete