Tuesday, July 6, 2010

be in the world, not of the world

inspiration: Romans 12:2


"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will." --Romans 12:2



Yesterday, one of my best friends and I were having a discussion about how we're often "blinded" to our gifts from God. She is an amazing photographer, but I guess sometimes she doesn't see the beauty that we (as outsiders) see in her work. She will take a picture and like it, but when I look at it, I see something amazingly beautiful.

I guess the same goes for me in my technical ability. I'm working on some freelance work and I'm worried to death that it will turn out horribly. But Joyann encouraged me, saying, "You may not see it, but i think when you're done, what God blessed you with will be seen by others and i'm sure it will be great!"

It really got me to thinking about how truly he transforms us when He blesses us. God calls us to be IN the world, but not OF the world. He wants our lives to reflect His glory, not our own.


"In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." --Matthew 5:16


He calls us to live a life that glorifies HIM in all we do, not ourselves.

Now, I'm writing this blog mostly because I am struggling deeply with being "in" and not "of". I've found myself being tempted and pulled into the world from so many directions and I'm really struggling to keep my head above water and to live fully for Christ.

I'm torn so desperately between my love for Christ and my desire for attention from guys. I'm tempted by alcohol and money and greed. I'm tempted by "adventures" that are almost becoming idols to me, because I want to experience them so badly. Sometimes it's really hard for me to just take a step back and to realize that God will provide everything I will ever need. He promises that. But all these things around me that scream "Do this. Try this. Go here." distract me and keep me from holding steady to the promises that God has made to me. To all of us.


Be in the world. Not of it.
Shine a light for Christ.

I need to keep these words on my heart, so that I may remain in the promises of His Word and not get sucked into the temptations of the world.

3 comments:

  1. ILY. I get so sucked into it too. All of these things I feel like the world is telling me I should do or want to do so that I don't 'fail' at life.

    Girl, you are totally gifted! I know your technical help with be amazing and that it will be exactly what God intends for the church.

    I have been struggling with reading the Bible and not acting any different. I mean, I don't want to force stuff, yet I don't seem much different than a non-believe sometimes. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I'm torn so desperately between my love for Christ and my desire for attention from guys. I'm tempted by alcohol and money and greed."

    Sounds as if you have a good handle on this already, but just as a reminder: There is a better joy in Jesus than the "joy" that's promised by sin. God bless you as you struggle for the freedom found in Him.

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ily, Brooke :) And i know that it's hard to want to keep from "failing" at what the world says you should do. but just remember that God is using in you in a way that's different, but He is using you for HIS glory :) in all you do, you're glorifying Him :) you don't ever need to "force" your relationship with Him. He will provide you with opportunities to grow and share His love with others and to grow in your relationship with Him :)

    And Brad, I don't think I know who you are, but thanks for reading and thanks for the encouragement :) I'll definitely be checking out your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete