Saturday, June 5, 2010

Ephesians 4:29-32



Ephesians 4:29-32:

29Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. 30And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. 32Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.



I struggle with this quite a lot. Letting past things brew inside me. Letting things that I can't control muster inside. It's definitely not something that is "helpful for building others up" in Christ. If anything, it hinders me from truly worshiping the God of redemption and forgiveness.

I've worked in the past to overcome all the bitterness, rage, anger, et al. but it never fails to creep back up on me. Mistakes and hurts of the past don’t readily go away, but I know that it's up to me to forgive others and ultimately forgive myself. The more I cling to the past, the harder it is to trust God's plans for the future.

Throughout the day, I've definitely had my heart softened to trusting God's plans.
I woke up this morning (not feeling like P. Diddy ;)) rather frazzled and upset from some crazy dreams I had. I was in a pretty hard mood and just mad about certain things that are undoubtedly waaay out of my control. But throughout the day, I've been trying to keep Ephesians 4:29-32 in the back of my mind. Especially verse 31.

Bitterness, rage, anger, et al. make for an unpleasant person. And I certainly don't want to be unpleasant. I want to glorify God and to be used for His Kingdom and an unpleasant demeanor will certainly keep me from doing so...The more I live by these words and allow them to strengthen me, the closer I am to letting the past remain the past and not becoming a problem in the future...

I pray intently for strength overcome it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment