Wednesday, February 10, 2010

a Valentine's Day baptism.

inspiration: I'm getting baptized!!!

So Valentine's Day will truly mean something special this year.

I'm getting baptized!

February 14, 2010 at 2PM at St. Bethlehem Christian Church on Dunbar Cave Road.


I'm upset at myself because I've become somewhat of a jaded, cynical person about Valentine's Day, simply because I don't have anyone to celebrate it with. I'm, honestly, tired of hearing about dates and romantic plans for Valentine's Day. Quite frankly, it makes me sad, so I'd just rather not hear about it.

I had to text my small group leader this morning because I was so upset about it. I know that God has someone special for me. I trust wholeheartedly in the plans He has for me. But I pray every day that I'll get stronger...that somehow I'll be able to make it a day without getting upset and emotional about not having a "special guy" in my life, but I think I'm getting weaker. I'm getting emotional now just typing this....

...but regardless of my emotional woes, I'm very excited about Sunday now! I have something to look forward to and it's going to be a wonderful day, even if I don't have a "special someone".

But here's a little bit about why this is so important to me:

I was saved and baptized when I was about 12 or 13. I remember walking down the aisle at my grandmother's church to accept Jesus Christ into my heart. It was a big decision I had made and I was so very proud that I had made it. I was baptized a couple weeks later, but as a 12 or 13 year old middle schooler, I didn't fully understand the concept of what "accepting Christ into my heart" meant.

At that point in my life, it was more of a choice I had made rather than something that affected my lifestyle. My lifestyle didn't radically change (I mean, granted, I was a pretty good kid), but it didn't reflect my becoming a "new creation".

But now, over eight years later, I'm getting baptized again. I've grown and changed and matured a lot in my faith, especially over the last several months, and I feel like I have a much better and much clearer understanding of what it means to be a follower of Christ and to walk with Him every single day. It means dying to myself and to the world everyday in order to bring glory to Christ! It means staying rooted and established in Christ and His love for me, even if it means turning down the pleasures of the world.

To me, this is a huge step! I'm going to show the world once and for all what I'm all about:

Glorifying Jesus Christ!

...so while I'm still quite upset about spending another SAD (Single Awareness Day) alone, I know that I really won't be spending it alone. Christ is always with me. Maybe not in person, but always in Spirit. And someday I'll meet that "special someone" who I'll spend many Valentine's Days and other special holidays with. I just have to be patient. It's hard and it's not really getting any easier, but one day it will be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment