Saturday, January 9, 2010

unity

Unity (yoo-ni-tee) - noun:
1. the state of being one; oneness.
2. a whole or totality as combining all its parts into one.
3. the state or fact of being united or combined into one, as of the parts of a whole; unification.
4. absence of diversity; unvaried or uniform character.
5. oneness of mind, feeling, etc., as among a number of persons; concord, harmony, or agreement.

(Definition from dictionary.com)

So, I went to the APSU vs. Murray game tonight. As far as the game is concerned, both teams played hard, and props to all the athletes and coaches who train and work to prepare for these games every week. Amidst all the hype of the "OVC rivalry" and such, I must admit, I yelled and screamed my lungs off (thus, killing my vocal chords…), but I love the tension of rivalries and the adrenaline rushes of screaming at the top of my lungs "Let's Go Peay!"

Of course, we are going to have that vengeance against an opponent's fans who are relentlessly yelling for our arch foes, but what do we do about "those people" who are on our side that we cannot stand? How do we tell them to "Calm down!" when we ourselves are screaming our heads off? I may be talking about a silly (yet, intensely rivaled) basketball game. But if I find myself wanting to go and call out rowdy fans in the stands who I think are being too rowdy and too obnoxious, what should I do? After all, we are all cheering for the same team.

And it got me thinking about how this same mindset applies Biblically…

WE ARE ONE BODY IN CHRIST:


"For he himself is our peace, who has made the two ["uncircumcised" and "circumcised"] one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, by abolishing in his flesh the law with its commandments and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new man out of the two, thus making peace." (Ephesians 2:4-5)

"This mystery is that through the gospel the Gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of one body, and shares together in the promise in Christ Jesus." (Eph. 3:6)


SINCE WE MAKE UP ONE BODY, WE ARE CALLED TO LIVE IN UNITY TOGETHER:


"There is one body and one Spirit -- just as you were called to one hope when you were called -- one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all." (Eph. 4:5-6)

"From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work." (Eph. 4:16)


I know, that sometimes, I get caught up in the trivial and superficial things, and I miss opportunities for the real reason we worship and serve others: for the GLORY of GOD! So, in my life, I know that I need to work on making sure that 1. I am walking in the light in order to glorify God and His ultimate purposes, but 2. that I am united with my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. I cannot let personal, selfish reasons come between us becoming a cohesive unit for Christ. We have all been saved by the same Christ, and with unity of heart and spirit and love, we should lift His name up for all glory.

"For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile -- the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, 'Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved'." (Romans 10:12-13)




So whether we're cheering for APSU or God, we should always remember that we're rooting for the same team. We're rooting for the same God! And when we're rooting for God, we should remember it's about making HIS name famous and glorifying everything He does in us and through us. Sometimes, it's a victory, sometimes it's a loss, but it's all for His Kingdom and His purpose. So on the count of three, let's give a big ol' united shout:

"LET'S GO GOD!"


(and Let's Go Peay, too)


;)

No comments:

Post a Comment