Thursday, January 28, 2010

change of direction = change of heart.

Often times, I'm caught in a situation where I want to change, but I never change my direction. Sometimes, I actually need a change in direction before I can experience a change of heart.

One of my New Years Resolutions was to read my Bible every day. I thought "I'll just read through the Old Testament. As long as I'm on fire for God, this will be a cinch." Then I got to Exodus...And it's not that I've lost my "on fire" feeling for God, I felt I needed a change of direction. So I finished Exodus last night and instead of jumping into Leviticus, I felt the need to read Ecclesiastes instead. And I read the first half of Ecclesiastes last night and finished it this morning. :)

Something as simple as changing my direction (even though I'm going toward the same destination: a closer, more intimate relationship with God) really changed my heart. It re-energized me. Somehow I felt I needed to just "read through" the Old Testament like I had the New Testament. And I guess, while that's not wrong, it became very difficult to make it about "intimacy with God" when I felt like I was forcing myself to read...

But a passage that jumped out at me and I loved:


"I have seen the burden God has laid on men. He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end. I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live. That everyone may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all his toil -- this is the gift of God. I know that everything God does will endure forever; nothing can be added to it and nothing taken from it. God does it so that men will revere him." (Ecclesiastes 3:10-14)


3:10-11: I have seen the burden God has laid on men. He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end.

To me, this passage speaks about the patience of God vs. the impatience of man: something I definitely struggle with. God makes everything beautiful in its time. Yet we as mankind want things...NOW (well, that tends to be my mindset most of the time). I want what I want (now) and waiting seems like a horrible thing. And rather than enjoy the patience and perseverance God is trying to produce in me, I become selfish and bratty. I'm just a work in progress...

3:12-13: I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live. That everyone may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all his toil -- this is the gift of God.

This passage really sets up kind of the rest of the book of Ecclesiastes for me. "Oppression, Toil, Friendlessness", "Advancement is Meaningless" and "Riches are Meaningless" are the headings for the next few sections of the Book. And Solomon writes that we may be "chasing the wind" and spending time acquiring power and money and stuff that we can't take with us.

3:14-15: I know that everything God does will endure forever; nothing can be added to it and nothing taken from it. God does it so that men will revere him.

This takes me back to Passion. We studied the absolute supremacy of Christ in Colossians and how everything is created BY Him and FOR Him. God is amazing! He has created everything on earth. All we can do is revere and honor Him for everything. In Him all things hold together.


Other passages from Ecclesiastes touched my heart and spoke to me. I changed my direction and it resulted in a change of heart. :) I'm normally a "step-by-step instructions" type of person. I'm set in my ways and I don't like to deviate much from a set course. But sometimes change is good and sometimes it is necessary. For me, a simple change in direction made me more aware of areas I need to improve in my life and reminded me about the more important things in life. =]

There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven. --Ecclesiastes 3:1

No comments:

Post a Comment