Wednesday, December 30, 2009

5 Goals for 2010

inspiration: 2010 is two days away!

I posted my "nutshell" version of my five resolutions in this post, but now I am posting WHY these are my goals.


"For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ."
-2 Peter 1:5-8 (My New Year Scripture)


2009 was a spiritual "epic fail", but 2010 is going to be better. I have the right mindset and I have friends and family who want to keep me accountable in my relationship with God and who will comfort and encourage me if and when I start to stray from my path.


  • God first.

  • I have lived too long for "Nikki". I've been selfish, prideful, self-reliant on my own plans, rather than relying and trusting fully in God and His plans for me. Granted, the past few months haven't been a cake-walk, but I know I must lose my life in order to gain eternal life. =]


  • tithe.

  • I have been a horrible steward of my money. I've hoarded it, wasted it on whimsical "things", and I certainly haven't given much back to the Kingdom. But I recently read in my devotional that a church was asking members of the congregation to set aside $20 a week in order to fund missions, which is roughly $1000 a year!

    My tithe goal for 2010 is to set aside $10 a week. And hopefully, I will be able to increase my giving within the year :)


  • read.

  • I will not lie, I abhor reading. But I started reading the New Testament in November. I made myself sit and read 4 chapters a day and to really immerse myself in getting to know God. I didn't want it to be just an apathetic "Okay, I read my Bible today" thing...I wanted to really get to know God and to know His purposes for me. I began on November 2, 2009 and I will finish on January 1, 2010.

    So I am going to begin in Genesis on January 2, 2010. I've mapped out the first three months of the year, averaging about 3 chapters a day (didn't want to overwhelm myself since the chapters are longer in the Old Testament). But regardless of the amount I read or how long it takes me to read through the Old Testament, my time with God's Word will remain a staple time of my day.


  • pray. fervently.

  • My goal is not only to just say "Dear God, thank you for this day. Please get me through (fill in the blank). Amen." more. But to begin to pray the right prayers.

    For many days, months, and years, I've been praying to a "Santa Claus god" (I read that term in "A Scandalous Freedom" by Steve Brown); I've been praying for God to give me things and shower me with things and then expecting those things to just fall into my lap. But that's definitely the wrong impression of God to have and I've definitely been praying the wrong prayers.

    My goal is to thank God for His blessings and to praise His creations, not to pray for selfish, trivial things, and for constant peace in His will for me.


  • trust.

  • Trust God.

    It's not easy to put aside my "wants", but I will constantly make efforts to trust God. After all, He is the Creator and Sustainer of life and we should be living for Him, not the other way around.

No comments:

Post a Comment